Buffalo Chicken Soup
- 1/2 cup orzo, uncooked
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp. ranch seasoning mix
- 3 Tbs. fresh cilantro, divided
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup buffalo sauce
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or shredded
- 1 bundle green onions, chopped and divided
- Prepare orzo according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile as the orzo cooks, heat the grapeseed oil in a large pot over medium/high heat. Once oil is shimmering and runs across the pan, cook the onion and carrots until the the onion is translucent and the carrots have begun to soften. Add the garlic and stir for an additional one minute. Then add the ranch seasoning, chicken, 2 tablespoons of cilantro and half of the green onions. Stir until ingredients are covered with seasoning.
- Pour chicken broth and buffalo sauce into the chicken mixture. Slowly while stirring add cheddar cheese and Parmesan. Stir until combined and cheese has melted throughout. Bring soup to a light boil and reduce heat to low, while maintaining a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender and to your liking.
- Add prepared orzo and stir to combine. Continue to let simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve soup with remaining green onions and cilantro divided evenly between servings.
For a pasta free version, substitute cauliflower rice for the orzo.
Want to cut out more fat/calories skip the cheese in the soup and just sprinkle it on top before serving.
Blue cheese would also make a great garnish!
[adapted from Bake Your Day]