Chocolate Coated Pineapple Pops
Yield: 6-8 popsIngredients:
- 1 small pineapple, cut into spears
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips/chunks
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- small handful roasted macadamias, chopped
- Cover the bottom of a small or medium baking sheet with parchment paper. Taking one pineapple spear at a time, insert a wooden treat stick into one end until secure and stable, usually inserting about 2/3 of the wooden treat stick. Place pineapple on baking sheet and repeat with remaining spears. Place baking sheet in the freezer for 1-2 hours, preferably overnight to freeze pineapple spears all the way through.
- When ready to coat pineapple, mix shredded coconut and chopped macadamias in a small bowl and set aside. In a medium microwave safe bowl place chocolate and coconut oil, microwave for 1 minute, stir and microwave for 30 more seconds. If any chocolate has not melted continue to microwave in 10 second intervals until all chocolate has melted, stirring between each interval.
- Remove pineapple spears from freezer. One spear at a time holding the end of the wooden stick, use a spoon to pour the melted chocolate on one side of the spear, using the back of your spoon to push the chocolate around if necessary. Immediately sprinkle the coconut and macadamia mixture over the one newly coated side. Repeat with each remaining side and continue with additional pineapple spears until all have been coated. It's best to do this over the baking sheet as coconut or macadamias will fall off, and it's best that they don't land in the melted chocolate.
- Place pineapple spears in freezer, until ready to serve. They can also be stored in an airtight bag or container in the freezer if needed.
Keep in mind amounts shown are for 6-8 spears, you may need to increase your quantities if your pineapple is larger. Don't have macadamias? Cashews work great too! If you find the pops too hard to eat right out of the freezer, let the pops sit at room temp for 5-10 minutes or until desired softness has been reached. For tips and tricks to cutting a pineapple into spears and other topping options, please check out the "Tips & Tricks" section of this post.