Creamy Caramel Sauce
Yield: 1 cupIngredients:
- 1 (14oz) full fat unsweetened canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat whisk all ingredients together until combined and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, whisk again and reduce heat to low while maintaining a light simmer. Cook for 30 minutes without stirring.
- After 30 minutes stir ingredients once again making sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the pan for any darkened caramel. At this point you will need to continue cooking until desired thickness and richness have been achieved. I usually continue to cook the caramel sauce for 20-25 minutes until it has a rich dark caramel color, stirring and scraping the pan occasionally.
- Once caramel has reached desired thickness and richness remove from heat. Let cool for 5-10 minutes and whisk once again to ensure caramel is smooth and creamy. Once cooled enough to store, transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Caramel will thicken further and lighten in color once completely cooled and refrigerated.