Grilled Summer Squash Sandwiches with Tomatoes and Basil Mayo
Yield: 2 sandwichesIngredients:
- For the sandwiches:
- 2 large yellow summer squash
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes
- grape seed oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 hoagie buns (gluten free, if desired), halved lengthwise
- handful of spinach (optional)
- For the mayo:
- 3 tablespoons Just Mayo
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 tablespoon packed minced fresh basil
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl stir mayo ingredients together and set aside.
- Carefully slice the tops and bottoms off each squash. Cutting lengthwise, cut squash into 1/4 inch slices. Skewer cherry tomatoes on bamboo or metal skewers. Brush squash and tomatoes with grape seed oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place squash slices on grill and close lid. Grill for 5 minutes or until slightly tender and grill marks appear. Flip slices over and add skewered tomatoes to grill, closing the lid when done. Grill for five minutes, and flip tomato skewers over. Check squash for grill marks and tenderness, removing any slices if necessary. Close lid and continue to cook a few more minutes until tomatoes are blistered on both sides and all squash is tender throughout.
- Place bun slices open side down and grill until lightly toasted and grill marks appear.
- In a food processor, place grilled tomatoes and pulse a few times to smash tomatoes.
- Layer sandwiches as follows: bottom bun half, smashed tomatoes, grilled squash, spinach (if desired) and top bun half with a healthy slather of basil mayo. Enjoy!
If using wooden/bamboo skewers, soak skewers in water for 20 minutes prior to using.