Quick Pickled Red Onions
Yield: 1/2 - 2/3 QuartIngredients:
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon or more coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Place sliced onion in a 2.5 quart or larger heat safe bowl, preferably glass.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Carefully pour mixture over onions in bowl. Stir coating the onions for two minutes. Let onions rest for 15 minutes. Return and once again stir onions for 1-2 minutes. Pack onions into liquid as much as can and let rest for an additional 15 minutes.
- Stir onions one last time, and transfer to an airtight glass jar or container for storing. Make sure to press onions into the liquid, so that as many as possible are submerged. Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Pickled red onions can be enjoyed after 1 hour of soaking, but are best after soaking overnight in the refrigerator. For more tips and information please see section in post called "Tips on the Quick Pickle for Red Onions."