Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter (vegan, if desired)
- 1 medium sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, undrained
- 1 (15 oz.) can great northern beans, undrained
- 1 (15 oz.) can navy beans, undrained
- 4 cups vegetarian chicken broth
- 1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- optional toppings: fresh lime juice, fresh cilantro, avocado, tortilla chips
- In a large pot or dutch oven, over medium-high heat melt butter. Once melted add onion and cook until translucent and tender, approximately 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add remaining ingredients stirring to combine. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve warm with choice of toppings.
Soup will appear very liquidy at first, as the soup and quinoa cook a lot of the liquid will be absorbed/cooked off. If you like your chili thicker reduce, broth by 1/2 a cup. You can always add more liquid/broth but you can’t so easily take away. If your salsa is thick you may need to add additional broth. Nutritional information is based off of 5 servings.