Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Yield: 2 sandwichesIngredients:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 5-6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 3 canned artichoke hearts, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 4 slices of multi-grain bread
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1-2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat melt butter. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, approximately 30 seconds. Add spinach and saute until spinach is wilted. Add chopped artichoke and cook until heated through, approximately 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and place ingredients into a small/medium bowl.
- Wipe pan with cloth or paper towel removing any moisture and place back onto heat. Liberally spray skillet with cooking spray. While skillet reheats, add Greek yogurt/sour cream to spinach and artichoke mixture. Stir to combine, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place two slices of bread in reheated skillet. Sprinkle 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese on each slice followed by 1/4-1/2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Spread 1/2 the spinach artichoke mixture onto each slice, spreading evenly. Sprinkle remaining cheeses evenly on top of each sandwich. Place last two bread slices on top of respective sandwiches. Spray the top of the bread slices liberally with cooking spray.
- Cook sandwiches for approximately 2-4 minutes or until bottom slices are nice and golden. Flip sandwich over and heat once again until golden and cheese is melty, this will most likely be faster so keep an eye on them. Serve immediately.
To make vegan: Simply swap out dairy ingredients for their nondairy versions (I have not tried it with every swap at once though). You could also butter your bread instead of using cooking spray. This will impact the nutritional facts though if you are concerned.