Ultimate Banana Bread
Yield: 1 loafIngredients:
- Wet ingredients:
- 3-4 very ripe medium bananas, mashed or pureed*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces applesauce**
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3-1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks***
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together all of the wet ingredients until well incorporated.
- In a medium mixing bowl sift all dry ingredients together excluding the walnuts and chocolate.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Gently fold the two together to incorporate. Just before all of the dry ingredients have been incorporated add the walnuts and chocolate chips and continue to fold until just mixed together. It's important to not over mix.
- Add the batter to the greased loaf pan. Using the back of a spoon or spatula spread the batter into an even layer. If desired you can sprinkle additional chocolate and/or walnuts on top.
- Bake the banana bread until a toothpick can be inserted in the middle of the loaf and just a few crumbles appear on the toothpick when removed, approximately 55 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Let the loaf cool in it's pan for 20 minutes before removing it to cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
*Four bananas will yield a dense moister loaf. **Four ounces of applesauce is your standard size for a single serving cup. ***Dark chocolate is typically vegan, but double check just to be sure it is, if you are vegan.